At Local Motors we spend a lot of time thinking about regional tastes and fighting the powerful establishment which has sacrificed deep and varied regional taste in exchange for global consistency and the mirage of cost cutting by streamlining inventory.
When we find kindred spirits who share this commitment it is always my pleasure to showcase their position.
4 months ago Dominos Pizza announced its American Legends Pizza line based on 6 recognizable American regions and their affiliated tastes. At first, I simply thought that it was another gimmick of naming 6 new flavors, but then Dominos upped the ante by running a serious of TV spots that pit one region and its fans against those of another.
This is not so much a casual attempt to earn cheap points, it is an outright pitch to plant the maypole in the middle of each pizza party and to call out a different kind of allegiance - that of where you are from and what taste is in you.
The ad agency in charge of the creative is long-time Domino's ally Crispin Porter. I would include the embedded video here but it has not yet been released. So a description and an image will have to do. Next year, I expect to be running a similar image and writing about Local Motors' regional lineup...Stay tuned.
– Honolulu Hawaiian — Sliced ham, smoked bacon, juicy pineapple, and roasted red peppers with provolone and mozzarella cheeses on a cheesy parmesan crust. Customers can make this pizza “fiery” by adding Tabasco® brand Pepper Sauce and jalapenos.
– Cali Chicken Bacon Ranch(TM) — Chicken breast, white sauce, smoked bacon, tomatoes and parsley with provolone cheese and mozzarella cheeses on a cheesy provolone crust.
– Pacific Veggie — Roasted red peppers, spinach, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and black olives, with feta, mozzarella and provolone cheeses on a cheesy parmesan crust.
– Memphis BBQ Chicken — Chicken breast, barbeque sauce, onions, and parsley with provolone, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses on a cheesy cheddar crust.
– Buffalo Chicken — Chicken breast, Buffalo hot sauce, onions and parsley with provolone and American chesses on a cheesy cheddar crust.
– Philly Cheese Steak — Steak, onions, green peppers and mushrooms with provolone and American cheeses on a cheesy provolone crust.